And on the Google front there's the Google App Engine - http://code.google.com/appengine/ - and there's a whole load more besides (they have more APIs available every day...). This is still quite new, it's only available using Python which I haven't used for a couple of years and if you want to develop websites then you'll get to get your hands dirty with text editors and simple code.
Here's some background I've done so far...
Visual WebGui - http://www.visualwebgui.com/
The download and install went super quick and I got my first app up and running in no time - real impressive - easy to create a form, add a treeview, add a splitter, add some more UI elements, hook up some events in C# - then hit F5 and it just worked - no problems. Lovely.
Then I took a look through some of the samples (code snippets) at http://www.visualwebgui.com/Community/Resources/Codes/tabid/326/Default.aspx - all seemed to work OK, although a few relatively simple tasks did take ages - e.g. I couldn't add my own user control - eventually I discovered this was down to needing to add my Control to the <controls> list in the web.config file....
<control type="WebGUIApplication1.MyScripts, WebGUIApplication1">
<control type="WebGUIApplication1.CustomControl1, WebGUIApplication1"/>
Overall, my impressions were:
- If you want to use the toolkit as is to build an explorer-like UI in a web page, then this is a superb toolkit - it makes visually very impressive apps very quickly.
- You may, however, discover lots of nuances and quirks if you start doing more advanced things - such as adding your own controls... and often these are very frustrating to solve.
This is part of Google's answer to Amazon's server services - it's basically a hosting service for web applications which lets you host applications on Google's hardware. What this could mean for a developer is huge - it could mean access to an incredibly robust, incredibly scalable hosting environment.
The download and install of this went pretty quick and easy - first installing Python 2.5 (I already had 2.3 and 2.4 installed so now just adding another to the installed list...), then installing the SDK from http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html.
Having got this working I then (for once) actually just followed the quick start instructions - and was quite impressed that most things just worked straight off - http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/gettingstarted/ - in fact, the only problem I had was when I tried to add another page (beyond the instructions) just for fun... and I couldn't work out why my new code wouldn't work... it eventually turned out I'd copied the code inside a post rather than inside a get... simple error but really hard to debug...
Which led me to start looking at Eclipse - http://www.eclipse.org - and at the pydev integration - http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/eclipse.html (actually I didn't follow this document - but rather the IBM version - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-mashup-google-pt1/
This integration (after some time spent tweaking) gave me debugging capabilities - they weren't quick - but at least I could set breakpoints, could watch values and could step through code.
Finally I spent some time looking at some of the projects other people have already done on this platform, especially:
- the sample app code site - http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/ - this showed a few cute samples with remarkably few lines of code...
- the open source community - especially looking through these samples - http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/web/google-app-engine-open-source-projects - reading through the code of a couple of these apps certainly helped me understand how somw things work... For example, cpedialog is a simple but nice looking blog engine - http://code.google.com/p/cpedialog/wiki/How_To_Install_cpedialog