Wednesday, December 03, 2008

2 more frustrations out the way....

First up I had a problem where I couldn't get IIS7 to work - the returned error was:

IIS Manager Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

I initially assumed this was because I had files open in Visual Studio 2008... but this was wrong - actually the error was caused by skype - it had booted up and had claimed port 80. There are two simple workarounds for this:
  1. Kill Skype
  2. Or move IIS's default website onto some other port (e.g. 8080)
...

Second frustration was.... Visual Studio 2008 SP1 kept exiting. It didn't crash so much as cleanly close down. And it was doing this every single time I opened my website project.

After lots of rooting around to try to work out what was causing it, I stumbled across some complaints about PowerCommands causing VS2008 crashes.... so I went to the Control Panel, uninstalled the PowerCommands for VS2008 (which I think were bundled by Microsoft in SP1?) and yippee - my problem was gone.

...

Beyond these frustrations I've been making lots of headway with XSD and with LINQ - really impressed with the Microsoft tools - must blog more on these soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment