Seem to be hitting an endless churn of things to configure before I can actually get on with some work!
The latest problem was an error message from VS2008 which said:
To access local IIS websites, you must install the following IIS components:
IIS6 Metabase and IIS6 Configuration Compatibility
This was actually a remarkably accurate error message - it just took a while for me to work that out and to work out where to turn them on. This post on iis.net helped - thanks:
Follow these instructions to make these configuration changes:
- Windows Features
- In Windows Vista, open Control Panel and then click Programs and Features.
- In the right pane, click Turn Windows features on or off. The Windows Features dialog box opens.
- Select the Internet Information Services check box.
NOTE: Certain necessary related features will automatically be selected when others are selected
- Double-click (or expand) Web Management Tools, double-click IIS 6 Management Compatibility, and then select the IIS 6 Metabase and IIS 6 Configuration Compatibility check box.
- Double-click (or expand) World Wide Web Services, double-click Application Development Features, and then select the ASP.NET check box.
- Double-click (or expand) Security, and then select the Windows Authentication check box. (this step may not be necessary depending on your security needs).
- vii. Click OK